It's a well known fact that coffee grounds are awesome for your compost pile. They give things a boost of nitrogen which helps in the heating and breakdown of materials, but what happens if you're not a coffee drinker? No worries, you can still track down some grounds and you can even do it for free!
1. Major Coffee Shops: Grounds are a simple by product of their work and all you have to do is ask for them. Calling ahead never hurts, that way they know to save off their grounds for you, making it easy to walk in and pick them up and be on your way!
2. Gas Station Chains: Depending on how popular the gas stations are in your area they can be a home away from home for some. Tired drivers and early morning commuters go through gallon after gallon of coffee, call and ask them to save them for you, filters and all if needs be.
3. 24 Hour Diners: Dennys, Perkins, the Mom and Pop place on the corner — those are the places you go and drink a full pot while waiting for your eggs to cook (no matter what time of day it is). They'll have grounds all night long and all it takes is a phone call to get them into your garden.
4. Hotels: The morning breakfast buffet at most hotels is the entire reason to go. People charge themselves up for the day ahead and you better believe they go through a good amount of joe! If you're checking with a smaller hotel or motel, someone at the front desk should be able to help you. If you call somewhere larger, ask to talk to the kitchen manager.
5. At The Office: In many major offices, there's always a pot of coffee brewing, no matter what time of day it is. Bring in your own small trash can with a removable liner and place it near the break area for folks to dump the grounds in. We suggest clearing such things through HR first!
Can you think of somewhere else that would be loaded with grounds just waiting to be rescued? Share your idea below!