1. Appliances: Although this seems like the first place you shouldn't skimp, it's more a matter of knowing when to buy. You can often find better deals online that stores will match in house or even shop on major holidays to find the best deals.
2. Cabinets: Sure there is IKEA, but there's also Craigslist. Often you can find amazing cabinet sets that just need a fresh coat of paint or simple removal to make your home a step up from what it was. Even places like ReStore can reveal industrial materials that you might not come across otherwise.
3. Floors: To help give you that pretty glass backsplash you've been coveting on Pinterest, try going with something less expensive on your floor. It could be painted, or even done in smaller, less expensive tile. Places like Lumber Liquidators have super sales if you watch and can also be a great place to find a deal.
4. Labor: Just like in the bathroom, doing it yourself can be a great way to save some change. Be realistic about what you can do on your own or with the help of friends. Save the harder stuff for the pros and do the rest yourself.
5. Accessories: When it comes to crocks that hold utensils, baskets that hold fruit and even art work for your kitchen, there are endless resources to do things yourself and make something out of nothing. If you're not a DIY-er try the clearance aisle at your local TJ Maxx, don't pay full price unless it's something you can't live without and remember, there's always a clearance sale happening somewhere!
Have you remodeled your kitchen lately? Where did you cut corners? Share your tips and ideas in the comments below!