We recently moved, and our sofa has an empty space over it that's asking for something striking, so we've been combing the archives for ideas. When a sofa's up against a wall, a big statement piece is usually a safe bet. It helps to anchor the couch and can even make a small space feel larger.
- A blown-up photograph is an easy way to personalize your room and, if you go the DIY route, it can be an inexpensive option.
- A sculptural wall piece adds drama. A candle holder (like the one in Michelle's home above) is smart because it's decorative and functional.
- A large-scale painting can bring intense color into a room. If you really want to ramp up the scale, hang a couple of large pieces together.
- A big mirror works really well in a small space, since it reflects light while creating a focal point on the wall.
- A bright flag can give a room a graphic, Pop Art feel. If you're going for symmetry, try hanging a few in a row.
Photos: Laure Joliet, Jill Slater, Janel Laban, Jason and Jeff, Liezel Strauss