Did you jot down some New Year's resolutions this year? In case you are lazy, aka a slacker, like myself, I didn't necessarily commit to any. Instead, I made realistic goals that are centered around the home. I wanted my household goals to be attainable. No cleaning out the gutters or re-tiling the bathtub. These are the lazy person's version to New Year's resolutions.
- Wash the dishes more oftenMy apartment doesn't have a dishwasher so I handwash dishes. I don't mind doing this, but after a long day of work, scrubbing cereal bowls isn't on the top of my list. Glasses, pots, pans, and cutlery seem to overflow in my sink after a few days. I need to make more of an effort to get things washed right away to avoid that pile up.
- Dust ceiling fan monthlyI know this is gross, but I don't clean my ceiling fan very often. In fact, I only dusted it once in 2011. I'm short and don't like standing on chairs. Lame? Yes, but it's been my excuse for years. I resolve to cleaning it on a monthly basis to avoid sheets of thick, cakey dust....and sneezing!
- Don't use the dining room table as my extended purseI tend to dump my mail, books, home work, laptop, magazines, dayplanner, receipts, and other contents of my handbag on my dining table. After two days, it's covered with junk. I want to be more diligent about staying organized and put things where they belong. And maybe, just maybe, use the dining table for its intended purpose.
- Follow through on DIY projectsI love going to the flea markets. I love a deal. I love finding treasures. All in all, I buy a lot of thrifted goods--all with the intention of cleaning them up and finding them a new home. However, I've yet to actually strip and refinish that credenza or remove pesky rust from those industrial lockers. So instead of hoarding these DIY projects in my entry way, I'd like to complete at least one refurb in the near future.
- Complete my salon wallI love a gallery wall. It's a great way to display your personal treasures in a visually appealing way. I've started one in my stairwell that wraps into my bedroom. I've got a few prints, mirrors, and paintings up, but I want to keep going...
MORE NEW YEAR POSTS ON APARTMENT THERAPY
• 10 To-Do's Before You Start that New Year's Resolution
• Start 2012 Off Clean: Best Cleaning Tips for a New Year
• Resolution Revolution: Setting Intentions for a New Year