Once you've found the right space heater, it's not all warm days and cozy nights. According to the National Fire Protection Association, heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fires during winter months. To keep your home and family safe be sure to follow these simple space heater safety tips:
1. Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable sapce heater.
2. Have a three-foot "kid-free zone" around open fires and space heaters.
3. Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
4. Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
5. Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
• Read More: Put a Freeze on Winter Fires at National Fire Protection Association
MORE SPACE HEATERS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
(Image: Oliver Sved/Shutterstock)