The idea of a dedicated vanity space instantly conjures up visions of over-the-top makeup counters surrounded by rows of bright globe lights, better fit for a drag show dressing room than my modest apartment. But just like feathers and glitter, there's a way that vanities can be tastefully done.
1. All that's needed to start is a mirror and a chair. Blogger Alysha of Old House New Tricks made over an unused nook in her home to create this prep space.
2. Find a space with great natural light. This vanity in an Atlanta home from Terracotta Properties (via Houzz) is positioned right in front of a bright window.
3. With so few pieces needed to "complete" a vanity, there's room to get playful. We're talking fuzzy Chewbacca chair playful, like in this bedroom from RSVP Design Services.
4. Look everywhere for vanity inspiration, like this simple station in a hair salon from Sides Core (via Dezeen).
5. Finish it off, letting your wardrobe and makeup accessories decorate the space, like the table top bedroom vanity from Caitlin's Small Stylish San Francisco Home.
(Image credits: Old House New Tricks; Terracotta Properties; RSVP Design Services; Sides Core; Leela Cyd)