Did you guys enjoy the weekend's gloomier weather? The rain gave our plants some much needed water and it gave us a chance to hang out indoors more than usual. We took it as an opportunity to do some nesting and feel a little cozy. With halloween behind us we're starting to plan to host some events over the holidays and we're full of ideas for DIY projects. With all these big ideas, we tried to keep this weekend simple and just did a couple of things to make our home feel more comfortable:
1) Added some light! We checked off a repair we've been meaning to do: finally rehanging our Modernica bubble lamp. We didn't hang it right the first time and it fell in the middle of the night a couple of weeks ago (oops!). Now it's softly glowing in what had become quite a dark corner, just in time for the time change and darker evenings.
2) Added some soft underfoot: We've already got some rugs to keep things warm, but our feet still get cold. So our ultimate luxury is a pair of slippers to wear inside the house. We got them out from under the bed and padded around in them all weekend.
3) Good smells: Needing to keep the windows closed for the first time in about 6 months, we realized that the air can get stuffy fast. We looked up an old post on DIY Fall Scents and chose our remedy. This weekend we made yet another pumpkin pie and filled the place with smells of Fall spices.
4) Did some rearranging: The 'living room' area of our apartment was starting to feel more and more cramped so this weekend we did a couple of minor tweaks to make the space feel bigger in anticipation of having people over. We moved anything that didn't belong in there out (and added them to our outbox), added space between the pieces of furniture and made sure things were clean.
5) Slowed Down: We took the time to just sit at home. With a magazine, with the computer and just by ourselves. The coming months can easily turn hectic, so taking time out to enjoy what's happening right now keeps us present and keeps us from getting overwhelmed. It's also a great reminder that the reason we do any work at home is so that it can be enjoyed.
What did you do this weekend?
Roundup: Weathering and cozying up your home
11 tips for slowing down
10 Tips for Relaxing at Home
Roundup: DIY Home Repairs
[Image from House Tour: Karen and Jame's Colour Commitment]