We found this helpful list of tips and tricks for storing away our Christmas ornaments a day too late. If you are like us though, you'll want to bookmark these ideas. Tip number one is to keep the original packaging for your most delicate ornaments. For many of us, it's too late for that, but here are five simple items that can be re-used to protect and organize your precious holiday tchotchkes until it's time to dig them out again next year:
1. Partitioned Cardboard Wine Box: use for storing standard ornaments and small decorations.
2. Egg Cartons: use to store those tiny ornaments.
3. Resealable Sandwich Bags: these work great for protecting food-based ornaments made from salt dough and macaroni, for example, from humidity and pests.
4. Empty Coffee Cans: cut a slit in the plastic lid and put the plug end of the light string in it. Then wrap the string around the can to keep it tangle-free for next year. Store extra bulbs and extension cords inside or a well-padded fragile ornament.
5. Zippered Garment Bags: use them to protect large bulky lawn ornaments and hang them in your storage area.
For many more tips and tricks and effectively storing away your holiday stuff check out Real Simple's post here.
(Image: Flickr member georgiapeachez licensed for use under Creative Commons)