Linen closets are funny things. Intended to hold spare sheets, blankets and bathroom supplies, they can quickly resemble a can of snakes, ready to spring into action at a moment's notice. Ditch the clutter and check out these 5 simple tips to keep your closet neat, clean, and tidy!
1. Light It Up: Many linens closets are small, dark and often, deep. A pack of LED tap lights doesn't cost much at the store. Do yourself a favor and stop in and pick up a pack. Place them at the front of each shelf. You'll wonder how you ever made it through without ithem.
2. Iron It Out: I have fond memories of my grandmother ironing linens in the basement after they came out of the dryer. To this day, her linen closet it perfectly folded, pressed and pretty. It might seem extreme, but fabric that's been ironed after being washed folders easier and takes up far less space.
3. Thin It Down: Having backup sheets is a must for every bed in your home, but how many pairs of backup sheets do you need? If you have kids, that number might be 3 or 4, but for most, just one extra set will suffice. Make sure to recycle or donate old sheets as new ones come in or at least pull them out and put them with your craft supplies.
4. Ratty Towel Syndrome: Towels aren't cheap and even the rattiest towels can have purpose in your home, but that doesn't always mean they need to keep their shape. Growing up, I didn't know other homes actually bought wash cloths or kitchen towels. I just thought everyone tore up old bath towels for those purposes. In my home, once a towel has seen its time, it's torn to smaller sizes and taken out of regular bathroom rotation.
5. Label & Color Code: It's easier to keep a space neat and pretty when it already is. By adding labels to the ends of the shelves where specific linens go, it allows you to get new sheets and replace the old at a moments notice and without rummaging through piles. Try using contact paper down the shelves in a stripe from front to back to make color coded sections for where specific sizes are located. Perfect if you have kids in the family!
Do you have another tip to keeping your linen closet under control? Let us know in the comments below!
(Image: Flickr member charkesw licensed for use by Creative Commons)