Thinking of starting a vegetable garden this spring? Here are 5 simple tips to keep in mind before getting started...
The April issue of Organic Gardening has an article of tips for first time gardeners:
1. Watch the sun: food plants will need at least 6 hours of sunlight a day, so walk around the yard at different times to check out how the sun falls; the south or west side of the yard is a good bet
2. Check the drainage: make sure the plot isn't at the bottom of a hill where water collects
3. Don't start off too big: many first time gardeners get carried away with size, three 4x8 foot beds is plenty
4. Stay nearby: a garden close to home makes planning meals easier
5. Think outside the box: Container gardening is a great option if a yard isn't available
For more tips, check out the the site by author Patti Moreno at gardengirltv.com