Today, thumb drives are more affordable than ever (unless you grab that fancy LaCie one pictured above), so why not try out something new with the one you have laying in your office drawer? Here's some awesome ideas that you may not have known were possible with a mere thumb drive.
1. Back Up Your Console: Both the Xbox360 and Playstation 3 has the option to back up one's entire gaming library, saves, and info (given you have enough room for it) onto a USB drive, just in case those red/yellow lights make an unwanted appearance.
2. Create a Boot Drive: You can boot Windows or Linux using your thumb drive. Great for those reformatting errands when visiting your relatives.
3. Add Flash Memory to Your Windows System: Windows 7 has a feature called ReadyBoost which utilizes an attached thumbdrive when your main drive is running low. Plus, you can mix - up to eight, for a maximum 256 gigabytes (GB) of additional memory.
4. Use It as a Pet Tag: Instead of a standard pet tag, attaching a lightweight USB drive with all the important information on its collar allows someone pull up the info via a TXT file in case it gets lost. The drive may get beat up quite a bit if he/she loves rolling in the mud though, so be sure to grab a rugged one if you plan to keep it on at all times.
5. Hack Boxee Onto Your AppleTV 1G: We're still a big fan of the 'old school' AppleTV since you can still hack Boxee onto it. With a little know-how, you can easily start streaming all of you local media in any format onto the big screen.
Got an unexpected idea for a hack using your USB flash drive? Let us know below!