It's almost the start of Chinese New Year and, come February 10th, it will officially be the Year of the Snake. Celebrate this festive holiday with activities that will make your kid light up like a firecracker.
1. Set off Chinese "firecrackers" like the ones shown that I made using toilet paper rolls and leftover paper. If you're unsure how to do it, use this tutorial from Inhabitots. You can buy the cracker snaps here.
2. Make some other kid-friendly crafts, like a not-so-scary snake puppet made out of paper cups.
3. Together, give out homemade red envelopes of chocolate (or real!) money for good luck to friends and family members.
4. Enjoy these fake snake tattoos for a couple of days.
5. Let your kids try their hands at Chinese characters with stencils and some gold paint.
(Image: Dabney Frake)