1. Pick the right paint. Make sure you get the right finish for your space. Pick more sheen for spaces that have splatter potential like bathrooms and kitchen.
2. Get corner guards. There are some great corner guards out there now, beyond the basic plastic and oak. With stainless steel and other great metal finishes, a corner guard can look more like an intentional design choice than something to keep your kids at bay.
3. Do it right the first time. Prime when you need to. By priming your walls you can keep the paint looking great for a much longer period of time.
4. Use a picture rail. Picture rails aren't just a cool architectural feature. By removing the need for holes in your walls, your paint will last much longer.
5. Choose your colors carefully. Take your time and choose carefully. By living with a few samples for a couple of weeks you can avoid repainting in a month. Choose colors you will love for the long haul no matter what else changes in your space.