It's that time of year when the heat has us looking for a pool or the nearest beach to cool down. With these high temps, there are few things that sound better than a tall glass of cold water and some swimming. If you're also aching to head to the beach like us and want to bring your tech along, take a gander at these summertime approved tips.
5 Ways to Get Your Tech Beach Ready:
1. Love Reading on Your Tech? Pick the Right Device: While we own a few flavours of the iPad in our home as well as a Kindle, when it comes to reading outside in the summer sun, you can guess which devices are going to be left at home. The glare on both iPads is intense compared to the minuscule glare on the Kindle, thanks to the eInk display, so the choice is quite easy as to which device works best outdoors.
2. Resealable Water-tight Bags are Your Friend: Whenever we go to the beach or the pool and don't want our tech to get wet, even if we don't plan on bringing it in the water, we seal up our small portable electronics in resealable plastic bags. This helps keep the sand out of the Kindle's nooks and crannies, and also gives me peace of mind that should my young cousins decide to perform a cannonball jump into the pool, my smartphone won't be toast.
3. Waterproof Speakers are a Smart Bet: One of the oft used pieces of tech among our friends who live close to the beach is a small waterproof speaker like the Grace Digital ECOXGEAR. It's waterpoof, portable, and hardy, and is perfect for playing some music to accompany beach picnics.
4. Beware of Mixing Sunscreen & Tech: While sunscreen is an absolute must for you, it's not so good for your tech. Certain finishes on your devices can tarnish by coming into contact with sunscreen, so be sure your hands are free and clear of sunscreen before touching that shiny new camera.
5. Stay Shady: Staying in the shade is not only good for your skin, but it's also good for your electronics. Direct sun and electronics don't mix, and don't be surprised if you see a heat warning on your devices if you leave them out in the heat for too long. Be smart about what you bring with you — you don't need all of your devices all of the time, and some are better left at home.
What are some ways you get your tech beach & poolside ready?