Gift giving and receiving season is in full swing. The writers at Practically Green came up with five ways to get rid of and get new (to you) stuff this season instead of buying new. From Practically Green's newsletter:
"All of this swapping and sharing and vintage and consigning of stuff saves major resources. As JD Norton, eBay's Green Team Community Manager, notes on our blog this week, "The greenest product is the one that already exists." Selling used clothing can actually cut your carbon emissions by 27.1 pounds (so says CarbonRally.com). You'll also avoid the considerable resources involved with producing new clothing--pesticides on cotton, dyes, shipping, packaging, and more. "
Here are five ideas from Practically Green to get rid of and get stuff this holiday season.
- Attend a swap event or use a swap site to gift what you have or find what you would like to have.
- Consign your clothing or home goods and pick up something new while you are there.
- Get or give something on Freecycle.
- Similarly you can give or get something on Craigslist, EBay, or even on EBay Green.
- Get gardening tools at a neighborhood cooperative.
(Image: Anthony Hall/Shutterstock)