It recently occurred to us as we sat playing with play dough: Yes, it is possible to sneak in some relaxation while watching toddlers or older kids, and at least take a vacation moment. Here's what we came up with:
• Playing with play dough: This was our light bulb moment. Play dough is kind of like one of those stress balls you squeeze right? While your child is playing, grab some for yourself and take a deep breath.
• Getting a free massage: This is for kids a bit older than 2 probably. But a lot of children will actually find it fun to give you a massage! Give them some lotion, tennis balls, or other props and let them go to town!
• Have a tea party: Nothing is more calming than slowly sipping a cup of tea. Make it herbal and everyone can participate.
• Take a nap while they nap: OK, this is more rest than play, but If your kids still take a long nap in the afternoon, instead of trying to get a million things done or getting lost online, just lie down and close your eyes! You'll be amazed at how refreshing it is to rest in the middle of the day if you haven't done this yet.
• Exercise with your kids: Not only does it set a great example, but it's a great way to release stress. Put in a video tape and let them join you. Even young toddlers will join in when they see you. Or you can just turn on the music and dance in your living room for 20 minutes.
Any other ways you sneak in some relaxation?
(Image: Mommy Goes Green)