We hate to throw stuff out. We prefer to recycle it, give it away, or find another use for it. And then we had to replace our yoga mat. We couldn't give our old one away; the reason we were giving it up in the first place was that it was too worn and thin to use. We couldn't recycle it; we tried but the guy at the tire place wouldn't budge. What were we going to do with it? And then we came across an article on the Gaiam website...
Gaiam, one of the leading distributors of yoga mats and related products, lists fifty ideas for what to do with your yoga mat when it's time to replace it. Fifty ways to recycle our mat later, we're healthier. Less stressed about how to recycle it, we breathe easier; replacing our mat appropriately we don't injure ourselves using a worn mat. Some of our favorite reuses include:
- Use cookie cutters to cut the mat into holiday ornaments
- Cut down for placemats for pet dishes. Keeps the area neat while also prevents the dishes from sliding around
- Clean the mat well and use it to line kitchen shelves
- Use the mat to smother weeds in your garden.
- Instead of buying a rug pad, use an old yoga mat (or two) to keep your rug in place. Rug pads also make vacuuming your rug easier.
- Instead of packing peanuts, wrap pieces of a yoga mat around your valuables.
- Strips of old yoga mat make colourful stair treads.
- Use a piece as a welcome mat outside a kitty litter box. The mat's stickiness grabs the litter off paws preventing it from spreading throughout the rest of the house and protects kitty's paws as well
- Cut into rounds and use as coasters
- Cut a piece to use as a sunshade in your parked car when it gets really hot
For another 40 ideas, click here.
[image: mikecpeck's flickr, with a Creative Commons License]