When space is at a minimum, a full size vacuum is simply isn't an option. Here are 6 compact vacuums that perform as well as, if not better than, their conventional counterparts.
- Electrolux's Silence Amplified Vacuum & iPod Dock, adds an iPod dock as well as speakers, to a decently quiet vacuum. Based on our review of the Ultra Silencer Green (the green counterpart, sans iPod dock), it does a fairly decent job cleaning but wasn't as "silent" as expected.
- The Energy Efficient Siemens Z6.0 Vacuum takes on Electrolux's Ultra Silencer Green and global warming by reducing energy consumption by 50% by taping a new aircraft turbine-style engine to create more efficient air flow.
- Festool's Dust Extractor line of vacuums provide serious power, filtering and mobility. Designed for the jobsite or the shop, they are compact and provide serious suction (99 CFM) at 62 dB. These wet / dry vacs also have built-in hose storage and you can add tool storage to the top. An auto-start feature can detect when a tool, attached to the Dust Extractor, is turned on - auto starting the vacuum.
- The Samsung SC9540 Silencio is said to be streamlined, powerful and quiet. With a multi-chamber suction system and auto suction mode, the Silencio automatically adjusts the suction power depending on the type of surface you're cleaning. As a bonus, CNET claims it looks like the Master Chief.
- The Dyson DC22 Turbine Head is a canister vacuum with the same Level 3 Root Cyclone technology as the larger Dysons, with a turbine powered cleaning head for all-around performance.
- The Dyson DC23 Motor Head replaces the turbine powered cleaning head from the DC22 with a motorized brush bar to remove dirt and pet hair from carpets.