It's getting darker earlier and earlier as we head into the heart of winter, and daylight is at a premium — which means there's not a lot of time to get things done while it's light out. Here are six projects that can be done in less than 60 minutes. They aren't full kitchen or bath renovations, mind you, but smaller jobs that you can finally cross off your to-do list, and use to feel better about your home.
1. Swap out the Showerhead: Your current one is unsightly, or you want to save water with a low-flow model. This project is inexpensive and easy to do yourself.
3. Dim Your Lighting: No one wants to feel like they are under interrogation while chatting in your living room. Bring things down a notch with a flexible dimmer switch and change the mood entirely.
4. Install a New Curtain Rod: Custom options are usually really expensive, and the readymade store-bought ones don't always do the trick. Create your own pipe conduit rods and have new wall treatments up in a flash.
5. Upgrade your Thermostat: Install a smart, self-learning thermostat that you can control via a smartphone. You'll save heat and increase comfort levels at home. Learn how to install a Nest thermostat.
6. Swap Out a Light Fixture: Even in a rental, you have options. Installing a new light is quick, easy, and reversible once you move out.
Re-edited from a post originally published 11.15.2014-NT