Whether someone is stopping by on short notice or you just can’t stand the mess yourself but are short on time, a speed cleaning session that focuses just on the more public rooms in your home (entry, living/dining, kitchen, bathroom) can be the perfect solution. This doesn’t replace regular, deeper cleanings, but is great in a pinch. Here’s my routine — it takes me 30 min or so in my small apartment, but should still be doable in an hour in larger spaces and it makes a huge difference.
1. Gather the basics. Floor wipes, bleach wipes, countertop spray and an air freshener like Febreeze are my usual go-to’s for this routine. A magic eraser is great to have on hand as well.
2. Pick up the floor and put everything away (or into the drawer to deal with “later.”) Clearing the floors and surfaces first makes everything go much faster later.
3. Vacuum the floors or, if you have one, let the Roomba do the work while you move onto #4.
4. Spray down all kitchen/dining room surfaces with countertop spray and wipe down. Tackle any tough spots with your magic eraser.
5. Use the bleach wipes to wipe down the sink, toilet and shower in the bathroom.
6. Wipe down bathroom and entryway mirrors with the glass cleaner.
7. Shake out the rugs and throws and straighten pillows. Use air freshener on upholstered surfaces.
Do you have a speed cleaning routine? Leave your own suggestions in the comments below.