If you are a natural cleaning products aficionado, then you are probably familiar with the benefits of baking soda as a disinfectant: it's environmentally friendly, effective, inexpensive and healthier then the chemical-laden products on the market. But we were amazed at just how many things baking soda can do in your home. Check after the jump for 7 great ways to clean your home with baking soda!
• Cleaning countertops: Sprinkle baking soda on a damp cloth. Wipe down counters; then wipe again with a clean, damp cloth.
• Polishing silver: Mix together three parts baking soda to one part water. Rub the paste onto your silver, rinse with warm water and wipe dry.
• Cleaning burnt on food in pots and pans: Sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of the pan; add hot water. Let soak overnight. Baked on food will come loose when you wash the pan.
• Unclogging a drain: Pour one cup of baking soda down your drain, then add one cup of vinegar. When these two substances mix, they foam and expand, cleaning your drain. Allow a few minutes for the mixture to work, then rinse with hot water for several minutes.
• Removing odors from your carpet: Sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and let sit for fifteen minutes. Then, vacuum. Repeat as needed to remove all traces of odor.
• Cleaning children's toys: Mix 1/4 cup baking soda in one quart of warm water. Use this solution to wipe down kids' toys, or submerge them in the mixture and rinse clean.
• Keeping garbage odors at bay: Sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of the can. Add whatever liner you use, then sprinkle more baking soda.
Got any other baking soda tips? Share them in the comments!
Check out some more ways to use baking soda and other natural cleaners at Natural Healthy Home.
(Image by Flickr member 19melissa68 licensed for use under Creative Commons.)