Bookcases are a design staple, and a part of most households at some point in time. What if there was a way to take these furniture staples and make them fresh again? Here are seven ideas to rethink this standard storage, and put them to use in new ways...
1. Hang Them High Up (Lead Photo Above): Save floor space by mounting your shelves high on the wall. It makes a great visual statement, and gets them out of the way. Photo above originally from Domino, as seen on Pop Sugar.
2. Trick Them Out to Look Like Built-Ins: Little Green Notebook shows you how to transform stand alone shelves into built-in bookcases.
3. Make Them Into Doors: Bookshelf walls in a guest bedroom slide to reveal a small study. This one is from Peter Pennoyer Architects.
4. Wrap Your Sofa in Shelving: Either line bookcases up behind your sofa, as a console table of sorts, or wrap it up totally with shelving on three sides. They will serves double duty as both a sofa table and end table. This set up was spotted in a 60s home by Style North.
5. Put Them On Casters: Whatever it is, a set of wheels will make it better. Here, an EXPEDIT bookshelf was altered with casters and appeared on Design Sponge.
6. Use Them To Showcase Art: When hung on the front bookcases, picture frames break up the large expanse of shelving that stretches across your wall. It's also a great way to display art in a new way, as seen in this living room from Lonny.
7. Turn Them Into a Loft-Style Bed: Using bookcases as a base for a bed, you get sleeping space and storage in the same footprint. IKEA Hackers can show you how to build the one seen here.