Every year I fantasize about how I'm going to be done with all my holiday shopping before Thanksgiving — and every year I find myself at the last minute trying to find gifts for friends and family. So this year I'm setting myself a new task. Here are some DIY gift ideas to start now so that they don't become last minute!• Terrarium in a Jar. This one has already been requested by a friend who always admires my terrarium. If I plant it now it'll have a chance to fill in a bit before the holidays.
• Portrait of a Collection. I love this idea of documenting a collection so that it can be experienced all the time without taking up the space of the real thing.
• Soy Container Candles. Using containers you buy at the thrift store (or my favorite Weck Canning Jars) make some scented or unscented candles to bring light and hope into the new year.
• Succulent Centerpiece. Similar to a terrarium but not quite as daunting, a simple centerpiece made up of succulents and decorative rocks is easy to put together (especially if you plan to make more than one!) and then it can fill in over the next couple of weeks.
• Cable Knit Throw. A cozy gift for new parents or a niece or nephew who is living on their own.
• Felt Ball Wreath.I still have the wreath my gramma made when I was young so I love the idea of making something that people will bring out every year as a part of the decorating tradition.
• DIY Knitted Pouf. For those who are very ambitious or have friends that would really (really) appreciate a gift of this labor intensity.
• Herb Garden. This is a classic for a reason. Fresh herbs are a gift, especially in the middle of winter, a a basket of them bursting with flavor brings warmth and friendship.