I found ceiling fan shopping to be one of the most stressful parts of renovation: how can all of them be so tacky and so expensive? Make the most of what you've got with these nine DIYs, in which skateboards, Batman, and the Golden Girls may or may not make an appearance...
1. Your Old Ceiling Fan, But Better, This Old House
By just flipping and painting the blades and adding swankier globes and bulbs, you can take a fan from blah to brilliant. This tutorial is a great place to start for almost any ceiling fan upgrade, but if you'd like to take things a bit- or a lot- further, read on.
2. Chevron Pattern Fan Blades, Design*Sponge
This peppy fan brightens up what is clearly Jimmy Smits' bedroom. If you're totally over chevron, simply use a different pattern.
3. DIY Ceiling Fan Upgrade, styleMUTT
With the addition of just a drum lampshade, 40 paint sticks, and "a multi-pack of different sized nipples", a standard ceiling fan gets a whole new look.
4. DIY Cage Light Ceiling Fan, Crazy Wonderful
Protect the bulbs while adding industrial flair with this super-simple tutorial.
5. Ceiling Fan Covers, Improvements Catalog/home improvement stores
Want a ceiling fan worthy of the Golden Girls? Take a fan from Generic Rental to Cheesecake On The Lanai with slide-on fan blades.
6. Ceiling Fan LED Display, Instructables
Oh my goodness, the 9-year-old would love this in his room. Codes for various images are included in the instructions, but unfortunately, so are circuit boards.
7. The Skateboard Fan, NOTlabs
Hold the phone, maybe the 9-year-old needs this one! If your kids (or you) have a bunch of old, busted skateboards lurking about, use them to create the perfect centerpiece for a skater-worthy room.
8. Helicopter Ceiling Fan Decal, WALL TAT
Add some action to the boudoir with a ceiling decal that's equal parts awesome and stressful.
9. Steampunk-Themed Propeller Ceiling Fan, Instructables
Happen to have a "6-foot replica Sopwith propeller", half a bicycle, and a Christmas pudding pot lying around? This is the project for you.