I don't know about you, but I'd say that we see our friends and family about 100 times more in the summer than we do in the colder months of the year. There's something about warm weather and the freedom to go outdoors that brings people together. It's a time to foster community and friendship, to break bread and build relationships. And really for us, summer is one of the few times of the year that we can entertain at home, as our house isn't exactly sized for large groups of people. I've been thinking about hosting an outdoor movie night, and I want to make it fun but on a budget. Here are nine DIY ideas that I've come up with for just such a fete:
1. Create a treat wagon like this one from Your Home Based Mom with your little one's wagon, a blanket, and a ton of goodies. Park it in one spot or wheel it around to offer your guests sweets and refreshments.
2. Print out some fun "fresh popcorn" labels like these cuties from our very own The Kitchn.
3. Make a no-fuss movie screen by hanging a white sheet over your clothesline like this one over on SFGirlbyBay.
4. Build each kid their very own drive-in movie car using cardboard boxes and paper plates
5. Print out your own popcorn bags with this free printable from Oh Happy Day.
6. Fill a box with rolled up sheets to use as seating as inspired by this post over on Design Sponge.
7. Design and print your own invitations to look like movie tickets like these by Sarah Taylor.
8. Give each guest their very own goodie box like these for OC Register Family Magazine that we found over on 100 Layer Cakelet.
9. Make your own DIY Smartphone Projector out of a shoe box, paperclip, and magnifying glass.
You Might Also Like:
(Image credits: Leigh Anne of Your Home Based Mom; Leela Cyd Ross; Victoria Smith, sfgirlbybay; Stacy Risenmay; Paul Ferney for Oh Happy Day; Brandon Kidd; Sarah Taylor; Jack and Lola Photography; Photojojo)