It's such a welcoming detail to add a bench at the front door. For single family detached homes, an exterior bench can be quite inviting. In an apartment building, consider a bench just inside the front door to create a gracious entry. Here are a few of each:The benefits of having a bench at the front door, indoors or out:
- It's a place to put on/remove shoes.
- It provides a comfortable place for you to watch for your ride if you carpool or are waiting for company.
- It provides a convenient surface for putting down your bags or packages when you arrive home.
- It can help establish an entrance sequence when none exists.
Shown above, left to right:
• 1 The entry at the Country Living 2009 house of the year.
• 2 A bench welcomes guests in the garden at the front of Kevin and Greg's Sugar Shack.
• 3 A minimal yet functional entry hall bench from Angela Ferdi via Apartment Therapy's Entryways for Any Apartment
• 4 A built-in bench plus plenty of storage from Point Click Home. Photo by John Gould Bessler
• 5 A bench tucked into a winding stairway at This Old House.
• 6 A cozy entry via Earthbricker.
• 7 This entrance bench from Better Homes and Gardens is an attractive architectural feature of the entryway.
• 8 An extremely high-backed bench with a place to hang towels at a Cape Cod cottage via Veranda.