Project by: Natasha Jansz
Location: Los Angeles, California
Have you ever moved into a new home where your old furniture just wasn't a match? That's what happened to this family, who had moved from a bigger Mediterranean-style house to a cozier, Ranch-style rental. Using affordable finds from popular retailers like World Market, West Elm, Target and more, designer Natasha Jansz was able to craft a home that didn't just fit its architecture better, it also fit the fun personalities of the young family better, too! Find before photos and a list of resources after the jump.
From the designer: The challenge for this project was to keep costs down (house is a rental) and incorporate as much of their existing furniture as I could. The problem was that the furniture came from a grand Mediterranean-style house. I wanted to find things that worked in their cozy Ranch-style house by the beach, which is all about indoor-outdoor living.
This is a makeover I did for the living/dining/home office area of actress Candace Cameron Bure (currently seen on Dancing With The Stars) and her husband and three kids. I wanted the interiors to better reflect the Bure family, who are unpretentious and fun. I introduced some clean-lined furniture that was better scaled to their home's architecture, with a range of influences from Danish Modern to Industrial.
Color was splashed about in accessories and abstract art, and the interior's connection to the spectacular views of the outdoors was underscored by large plants, and a beautiful landscape photograph in the dining area.
- Framed Black & White Landscape Photograph - Chris Miele
- 2 Abstract Canvases - World Market
- Sofa, Media Console and Media Console - client's existing
- 2 Leather Butterfly Chairs - Urban Outfitters
- Carved Wood Side Table - World Market
- 2 White Chairs - Ikea Poang
- Coffee Table - West Elm Bentwood
- Metal Dining Chairs, Bar Stools - Overstock
- Desk - Target Threshold Campaign
- Ladder Book-case - Target Threshold Carson
- Desk Chair - Sunbeam Vintage
- Mid-Century Style Credenza - Custom-made by Sunbeam Vintage
- Living Room Rug - West Elm Bullseye
- Faux Lambskins on chairs - Ikea
- Pillows - World Market (plain green), Target (colorful lumbars), Homegoods (chevrons), Serena & Lilly (green patterned)...not sure about the heart pillow, can find out from Candace
- Tripod Floor Lamp & Shade - World Market Tristan
- Coil Pot and Pepper-berry Branches near fireplace - Crate and Barrel
- Wood Container near TV - Target
- Branches in Wood Container - Pier One
- Dining Room Rug - West Elm Jute Chenille Herringbone
- Dining Room Plant - Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree
- Cerused Horse Sculpture on window-sill - Z Gallerie
- Floor-lamp by desk - Restoration Hardware Atelier Scissor
- Green Boxes & File Holders on book-case - The Container Store
- Tray on credenza - Homegoods
- Ceramic Hand Dish on credenza - Urban Outfitters
- Soapstone Heart on Tray - World Market
- Soapstone Sculpture on mantel - World Market
Thanks, Natasha Jansz!
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Project Submission Form.