Project by: Victoria Drob of Inspired Interiors
Location: Staten Island, New York
The mommy of this nursery was unsure what she wanted and was open to all ideas. I learned of her love of elephants and offered to incorporate that into the design. She went for it. I came across the Jonathan Adler wallpaper, and that acted as my initial point of inspiration.
Some changes: This room used to function as a home office. The custom built-in wall closet was intended for office materials and had wood-veneered panels and standard office hardware. For a quick and relatively inexpensive fix, I gave it a face-lift with contact paper, new knobs, and matted the clear glass doors with window film. The taller and wider, glass-door section of the closet was also fitted with a hanging rod. Existing wiring from the two ceiling spot lights was used to install lamp shades instead.
Some challenges: I had to use the crib, armoire, and changing table that the family already owned from their older child. The furniture was a bit large for the rather small room, and I played around with different arrangements to get the optimal configuration so that everything was easily accessible and practical.
The large skylight on one end of the room prevented placement of the crib there without a costly or cumbersome window treatment. This left only one sensible spot for the crib: by the window wall. The treatment for this window required careful consideration since it is within baby's reach. A child-safe, custom-made, cordless shade with blackout lining proved a great solution.
• Wallpaper, piggy bank, wall sconce, table lamp, Love footstool, & Peace throw pillow are all by Jonathan Adler
• Giraffe & Elephant throw pillow are by Etsy seller, CecilClyde
• Flower Drum Shade Ceiling Lights from www.shadesoflight.com
• Closet hardware and rug from www.anthropologie.com
• Elephant Heart prints by Zlatka Paneva from www.uncommongoods.com
• Elephant, Gator, & Giraffe wall hooks from //www.shak-shuka.com
• Bird mobile by Etsy seller, moloco
• Roman shade, crib sheet, and changing table cover by Etsy seller, HearthandHomeStore
• Hippo wall print from www.landofnod.com
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Project Submission Form.