Let's be honest, give some guys a dark room with a huge screen and the rest of the décor doesn't always matter much. But for the owners of this home theater space that is far more cultivated than cavernous, life is truly sweet. Below are some tips and resources for creating your own luxurious lair.Rich and Julie Rose, a graphic and lighting designer respectively, made the most of their joint expertise to find creative solutions for setting up a movie-watching spot on the bottom floor of their industrial loft without sacrificing the style and multi-functionality of the room.
• The vintage Polish movie posters that decorate the walls are bolted between sheets of plexiglass and the screen is revealed when the poster is removed from its specially-designed brackets. Similar vintage posters can be found at Posteritati.
• The ceiling-mounted projector is easily overlooked when it's turned off, allowing the room to function as an additional seating area. For instructions on mounting a projector on the ceiling, read this post on Unplggd.
• Rich and Julie's vintage fireplace may be not be real, but the faux flames still warm up the space. Check out Malm fireplaces for a classic working version.
• Rich took the photograph that covers the sliding doors and hides a small office and most of the media equipment. He had the image printed locally at I O Labs and mounted on plywood. Search large format printers online to find one near you, or try an online printer like megaprint.com that will turn your photographs into wallpaper.
• The video of Andy Warhol's Screen Tests shown in the photographs — beautiful video portraits of subjects including Edie Sedgwick, Dennis Hopper and Lou Reed set to music — is available from Amazon and is fantastic wall décor in and of itself.
Stay tuned for a full tour of Rich & Julie's fantastic loft next week.
The Inside Man is our guide to interior style for guys. All summer long we'll be sharing inspirations, ideas and projects. Check out our Inside Man page for more details.
(Images: Sarah Rainwater)