Maybe you don't want to hire an interior designer or decorator because you enjoy decorating your home yourself. Or, maybe you simply can't afford such a service. But what if you won a free day with a decorator of your choosing? How would you use the time? Shopping? Sketching layouts? Big picture or single project? Fabrics and paint or bathroom remodel? I know what mine would be: choosing rugs, paint colors, fabrics and lighting.
• Tap into her (or his) access to "for the trade" furniture and accessories you spotted in a decor mag
• Tackle choices you find particularly difficult, such as window treatments, wall color, or fabric selection for upholstery
• Seek help with the "big picture" to come up with a game plan for furniture layout and continuity throughout the rooms
• Focus some of the hardest rooms to decorate (because decisions are harder to reverse!): the kitchen or bath, which require a lot of specialized knowledge and expertise
• Flooring and tiling
• Download the designer's lists of resources for shopping as well as contractors and service providers
What Would You Do With A Day With a Designer?
(Image: Bethany Nauert / Traci's Incredible South Pasadena Craftsman House Tour)