It's getting closer to that time of year when temperatures are falling, the days are getting shorter, and all I want to do is pile on the covers and hibernate in bed. While I can't actually do that, I can make sure that I am cozying up to environmentally friendly bedding materials. Thankfully Natural Home recently came out with a great guide for linen and pillows. Check out some of their tips to getting a comfy and healthy sleep, after the jump.
Often conventional bedding is made with materials that have been grown using pesticides and chemicals, and the materials themselves are laden with more chemicals, dyes, allergens and even formadehyde. Avoid these toxins by looking for bedding made of one of the following materials:
- Organic Cotton: Hypoallergenic, soft and breathable; not treated with formaldehyde, bleaches, harsh dyes or other chemicals; easiest to find.
- Hemp: Absorbent, lightweight and sturdy; requires no pesticides to grow; can be blended with other organic fabrics to soften; gets softer over time.
- Peace Silk: Natural protein fiber; eco-friendly production process; lets silk worm live a full life; luxurious texture.
- Organic Cotton: Free of pesticides and chemicals; hypoallergenic; less irritating to skin.
- Organic Wool: Naturally flame-retardant, waterrepellent, hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites; eco-friendly alternative to down; durable.
- Natural Latex: Made from rubber trees; naturally flame-retardant; resistant to mold, mildew, bacteria and dust mites; conforms to body shape.
- Hemp: Lasts longer than cotton; firm; great insulator; very durable.
- Buckwheat Hull: Made from the buckwheat kernel's protective husks; supportive, eco-friendly and washable.
Visit Natural Home for the full article and an explanation of the cons for each material.
- The 10 Best Organic Bedding Sources
- The 10 Best All-Natural and Organic Mattress Sources
- Healthy Pillow Search: The 6 Best Eco Options
- Healthy Bedroom: Organic Bedding
- Bedding Ideas from National Geographic's Green Guide
(Image: Grace Shu)