Flatware has come a long way from the days of your grandmother's traditional sets. Now you can get quality with a fun and quirky modern twist.The perfect flatware should have the right feel and weight, and style to last. I personally prefer a set that does not need polishing, but whatever cuts your food. Here is a guide to some less traditional pieces that are hot on the eating scene.
1. The minimal Almoco Flatware from Design WIthin Reach is classic with a unique modern twist. It comes in traditional stainless, gold or even black.
2. Crate and Barrel's Aero Flatware is ulta-modern and sleek, with their slender tapered handles in matte black polymer and smooth sculptural heads.
3. West Elm's Forged Flatware (the set I am slowly acquiring and LOVE, btw) has a bronzed-matte finish that gives a industrial rustic look with an perfect weight.
4. Twigware is a nature inspired nickelplated stainless steel flatware from Michael Araminc's Bark & Branch collection.
5. And to throw in a fun casual set for good measure, we have the fork-knife chopstick. They are a plastic, dishwasher safe interlocking fork-knife set that also serves as spring-loaded chopsticks.
(Images: as linked above)