Name: Baby Boy (9 months)
Location: West Chester, Pennsylvania
This room had been my daughter's playroom for quite some time before we were surprised with a new bun in thy oven. Not finding out the gender, we needed to make a nursery happen out of a badly carpeted, drop ceiling infused vanilla shell.
After I removed the nasty drop ceiling, we were left with a wallpapered ceiling. I did all my best tricks to remove the wallpaper but that nasty glue was getting the best of me: I decided to make lemons out of lemonade.
The torn texture of the ceiling (from what paper I did manage to slough off), was the perfect base for a concrete-y/plaster-y effect. So I had my husband prime the ripped ceiling when he primed the walls. Then I used a watered down bevy of paints: medium brown, a light brown and a sage green to haphazardly rag wash the surface. After two layers of that & dry time, I used two watered-down, silvery metallics and did the same thing. It was really a no brainer. And now it adds depth to the room!
My husband, Ken, refinished the original heart pine floors buried beneath many layers of ick and ugly. I bought bargain Ikea LAPPLJUNG curtains at $15/pair and some display shelves. I also scored a great rag rug that was brand new for $20 at a yard sale. The dresser was $75 on sale at my favorite furniture consignment gallery and was coated with the deep turquoise we use for many projects in our home.
The rest of the stuff we used came cheaply or was found in another room in our house. The nursery has such a happy, easy, and dynamic personality: just like our son.
Thanks, Cira! Readers, visit Cira at Cira James.com
(Images: Cira James)