I was strolling through Seattle's infamous Fremont Fair and Solstice Parade
this past weekend, and in a sea of booths, one stood out amongst the rest. There was a row of four yellow schoolhouse chairs that caught my eye; ya know the ones that have a little cubby hole at the bottom for your books …
I immediately went to sit in one, and to my surprise they were really comfy. As I continued on through the fair those chairs kept creeping into my thoughts. I finally gave in and picked up a couple.
Now we have seen the schoolhouse style trending over the last few years and it’s still going strong, showing that this vintage, industrial chic isn't dropping out anytime soon. Too much of this style could verge on cliché, but a few pieces scattered throughout the house can add a nice bit of quirkiness and nostalgia to a room. Here are a few pieces that could add a little schoolhouse intrigue to your home.
1. Doesn't this image just bring you back? There are so many things to take from this style to make your own, from the home of Rachel Denbow of Smile & Wave
. (originally found via Vignette Design
2. Three potato Four
sells a lot of vintage schoolhouse pieces.
3. This vintage locker desk is available from Restoration Hardware
4. Turn a card catalogue file into a gorgeous buffet. via dream book design
5. Make this flat file coffee table. via Hardware Aisle
1. Schoolhouse Electric
created a fabulous modern line of schoolhouse lighting.
2. The cubby chair I bought this weekend from Aaron Busch
3. This office/studio makeover that showcases schoolhouse clocks, lighting, storage and fans was created by The Vintage Cabin
. You can also see their house tour here
4. These gym lockers make for a great entryway storage piece. via Houzz
5. Add a bold statement with brightly colored gym lockers. via Houzz
MORE SCHOOLHOUSE LOOKS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
Inspiration Gallery: Elements of Vintage Schoolhouse Style
Roundup: Schoolhouse Style Lighting Options
Images as linked above.