We've been big fans of FLOR from way back. Maxwell first wrote a post about FLOR in April 2004 and they've been on our radar in one way or another ever since. We recently got the opportunity to take a tour of their offices in Chicago — and in the process got a sneak peek at the new styles that will be rolled out in the summer catalog.
The new styles for summer will introduce new patterns and colors. FLOR introduces new styles, and also removes a few old styles, every season. The newest styles use 100% recycled content.
The FLOR offices are what you might expect — colorful and mismatched, modern yet warm. From the long runway of mismatched FLOR tiles to the airplane door partition for a conference room, walking through the FLOR offices is kind of like stepping inside one of their catalogs.
• A long runway of mismatched FLOR tiles greets you as you enter the offices. From this vantage point you can see the airplane door partition wall.
• These old airplane doors are used to create privacy in this small conference room. The doors were salvaged from a plane graveyard in Arizona years ago and made appearances in a few FLOR catalog shoots. Chip DeGrace, FLOR's Creative Director, installed the doors as a partition over a weekend.
• The tiles that line the floor are a mix of old and new. You might see some discontinued styles under your feet and then take a step or two and see some brand new styles.
• Mood boards and catalog layouts are leaning against most walls, even in conference rooms that would otherwise look like a page from one of the catalogs.
• A giant patchwork of tiles creates a giant rug under the cubicles that house the call center and other FLOR staff. The effect is like sitting on a giant quilt, which lends a homey comfort to the office.
• This colorful rug, using tiles cut in half, was designed by the office manager for a new store opening.
• The new styles for spring, including my personal favorite, Hey Jack, are lined up against a wall near the entrance.
• New styles and colors are being prepped for the summer 2012 catalog. While most catalog shoots happen in actual homes, FLOR also uses an in-house photo studio for close-ups and other shots. Just beyond the boards stacked against the wall in this photo is the small photo studio.
• This new black and white pattern, In the Mix, is sure to be a new favorite when it hits catalogs this summer. Interestingly, I learned that even with all the wonderful patterns that FLOR offers, the biggest sellers are almost always solids.
• The new styles for summer will introduce new patterns and colors. FLOR introduces new styles, and also removes a few old styles, every season. The newest styles use 100% recycled content.
FLOR is planning a major expansion of retail stores this year. March brings the grand opening of a new store in San Francisco and Boston will get its first FLOR store in April. Stores will also be opening in West Hollywood and Georgetown in the coming months. Check out the FLOR website to see if there's a store near you.
MORE FLOR ON APARTMENT THERAPY
• How To: Cut & Install FLOR Carpet Tiles
• $2 FLOR Rug Sample Reused as Mousepad
• How FLOR Tiles Saved Me From Being the Loud Neighbor
• A Behind the Scenes Look at a FLOR Catalog Shoot
(Images: Jason Loper)