They've slowly crept from fences to furniture and into ubiquity. They're wooden slats, and if their popularity is any indication, they're now a modern outdoor classic. Technically, of course, "wooden slats" have been around for a long, long time. The modern, clean-lined variation, however, has exploded in popularity over the past decade. You can now find them on everything from dining sets to planters to DIY projects. Even the tiniest deck can join the game with a modern birdhouse.
If you're looking for a change, though, these examples show how nice it is to go big with the idea. Rows and rows of slats, in everything from redwood to teak to cedar, look beautiful and visually expand the space. After all, even a view of the alley can be improved when you're sitting under your own small pergola.
1. A cedar slat canopy unifies and adds interest to a deck in Chicago. Via Chicago Home + Garden.
2. A wood slat fence and planter create a clean-lined patio in San Francisco. Via Houzz.
3. The Brick House's popular DIY fence plays well off the lines of the house.
4. For her Mini Urban Farm, Andrea Bellamy switched out concrete blocks for a gorgeous cedar-lined fence.
5. A dramatic pergola for the luxury-inclined. Via Elle Decor.