They say "chaise longue", we say "chaise lounge"but does it really matter when all we want to do is curl up on one? Cooler weather makes us crave a reading nook with a cozy chaise, a cup of tea and big stack of books. Though the early lounges were intended for the elite upper class, we now have middle class choices for just under $1000.
Part day bed and part side chair, the chaise has been around since the days of the pharaohs. It was the French (the previously mentioned "they") who made the chaise longue popular in the Rococo era to compliment the prevailing architecture. Later, Victorian ladies prone to fainting and convalescing made the chaise lounge a necessary addition to any room. Vintage chaises from the early 1900's can still be found on e-bay or at estate sales, but if you're after a modern version take a look at these 6 affordable, stylish options.
1. Pauline Chaise from Z Gallery: Upholstered in ice blue microfiber with a nail head trim, this chaise is versatile enough for traditional or modern décor. $899
2. Valencia I Leather Chaise Lounge from MFC: Does this remind of us contemporary Spanish design aesthetics or of an Austrian doctor's office? The perfect Freudian couch, this leather chaise is also available in white, red or black. $625
3. Leather Chaise (GL-9562) from LaFlat: We love the modern elegance of this chaise, which would add sophistication to any reading corner. $605
4. Calisto Linen Chaise from Motif Modern Living: This is a wonderful transitional chaise, with its square frame but soft, tufted cushions. The Calisto is also available in over 300 fabrics and leathers, as well as left or right arm facing. $769
5. Karlstad Free Standing Chaise from Ikea: What would we do without Ikea? Coming in at the lowest price point, is the Karlstad chaise with removable slip covers in a rainbow array for around $99 each. It even has an adjustable back rest for just the right degree of lounging comfort. $299
6. Edie Velvet Chaise in Ink Blue from Urban Outfitters: We have had a teensy crush on this chaise for a while and can envision it throwing a deserving curve into an otherwise clean, lean room. $550
Do you have a love affair with a chaise? Oui? Let us know your favorite.