Everyone likes a clean home, but the process of getting there isn't always so enjoyable. Thankfully strong, irritating cleaners are no longer the only cleaning supply option. Now we have easy access to cleaners that are not only eco-friendly and good smelling, but also a wealth of DIY cleaning recipes. Here are some of the ones we like the best:TO BUY:
1. Method: This is a writer and reader favorite. They continue to keep their brand fresh with interesting packaging designs, nice scents and entertaining commercials, and is always a solid and dependable cleaning product.
2. Mrs. Meyers: One of the best smelling cleaners out there. It seems like a luxury brand, but can be found quite easily at stores such as Target, at affordable prices.
3. Seventh Generation: Of all the eco-friendly companies, Seventh Generation probably has the largest line of products, including cleaners, laundry care, toilet paper and even baby care items.
4. Bon Ami or Bar Keeper's Friend: Both of these brands make great non-toxic alternatives for powdered cleaners.
5. Dr. Bronner's: Known as 'magic' liquid castile soap, Dr. Bronner's is definitely a do-it-all cleaner. It can be used as-is on its own, diluted, or mixed with other items to clean just about anything. The company claims 18 uses in 1, and is organic and Fair Trade.
6. Vinegar: Distilled white vinegar is the do-it-all of natural cleaners & no house should be without a giant bottle of the wonder liquid. Simply mixed with water, or with any of the below items, it can clean just about anything.
7. Baking Soda: Baking soda works great when you need a soft scrub & something more abrasive than liquids only.
8. Hydrogen Peroxide: This is a disinfectant that can be used to bleach, kill bacteria, mold, and even salmonella.
9. Citrus Fruit: Fruits such as lime, lemon and grapefruit can help polish, bleach, eliminate mildew and of course add a fresh fragrance to the home.
10. Essential Oils: A few drops can make a cleaner antibacterial and add a nice subtle scent. However, use with caution, as it is reported to be harmful to some pets.
There are definitely other great eco-friendly cleaning brands and DIY recipes to try. Let us know your favorites in the comments!
MORE NATURAL CLEANING IDEAS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Best: DIY/Natural Cleaning Solutions
• Reader Roundup: Add Your Picks for the BEST Natural Cleaner
• 25 DIY Green Cleaning Recipes For the Whole House!
• Homemade Cleaners Toolkit: 5 Essentials to Make Your Own
• Which is the Best Green Cleaner?
• 10 Eco-Friendly Cleaning Brands You May Not Know About
• 12 Eco-Friendly Spring Cleaning Supplies