This is the true story of a real person with a rental bathroom, trying to accessorize and make the best of it. We moved into our apartment a year ago, and had virtually nothing to put in the bathroom, except for wedding gifts. And so we went shopping for accessories.
We started out trying to create a streamlined, simple bathroom, but then felt the need to add colorful accessories. Now we're somewhere in the middle of clean and colorful, playing with both ideas. (Nota bene: we're not allowed paint and are saving our money for a house.) We love the accessories we have, especially the ones that hint of a nautical theme &mdash glass urchin, jellyfish print, blue glass, but still plan on tinkering with the bath as a whole.
Future goals include: Replace bamboo tray with white lacquered tray, replace stainless-steel lidded Q-tip jar with all-glass jar. We would like to simplify without getting too boring.
• 1 Upon the recommendation of fellow Apartment Therapy readers and bloggers, we started with a basic "waffle" shower curtain in white, $49.50 at Macys. We wanted to keep the small bathroom looking as spacious as possible.
• 2 To protect the curtain, we bought a white (versus clear) shower liner, $14.95 from Crate & Barrel.
• 3 Also upon the recommendation of Apartment Therapy readers and bloggers, we chose stainless steel roller rings, $11.95 at Crate and Barrel. They do, indeed, roll smoothly.
• 4 Our main towels (which were wedding gifts) are Macy's Hotel Collection turkish towels in ivory and suede, but for a little fun, we snagged some zebra-print towels on sale from West Elm. $12-$64 at Macys.
• 5 The Thomas O'Brien bath mat from Target matches our suede turkish towels, and gets put on the tub, under the curtain, when not in use. The graphic mat is from West Elm.
• 6 Poster from the Monteray Bay Aquarium, frame from Target
• 7 Bamboo tray, $14.95 at Crate and Barrel
• 8 Apothecary jar for Q-tips, $7.99 at The Container Store
• 9 Big Ben Folding Alarm Clock, $29.50 at L.L. Bean, so I know what time it is in the morning rush to get out the door.
• 10 White tissue box, West Elm.
• 11 Prism replica, from a whaling ship, $12.95 at Mystic Seaport
• 12 Glass sea urchin by Roost, $10.00 at Velocity Art and Design
• 12 Small canister for cotton pads, $16.95 from Crate and Barrel
Images: Lindsey Roberts