This is the true story of a real person with a rental bathroom, trying to accessorize and make the best of it. We moved into our apartment a year ago, and had virtually nothing to put in the bathroom, except for wedding gifts. And so we went shopping for accessories.We started out trying to create a streamlined, simple bathroom, but then felt the need to add colorful accessories. Now we're somewhere in the middle of clean and colorful, playing with both ideas. (Nota bene: we're not allowed paint and are saving our money for a house.) We love the accessories we have, especially the ones that hint of a nautical theme &mdash glass urchin, jellyfish print, blue glass, but still plan on tinkering with the bath as a whole.
Future goals include: Replace bamboo tray with white lacquered tray, replace stainless-steel lidded Q-tip jar with all-glass jar. We would like to simplify without getting too boring.
• 1 Upon the recommendation of fellow Apartment Therapy readers and bloggers, we started with a basic "waffle" shower curtain in white, $49.50 at Macys. We wanted to keep the small bathroom looking as spacious as possible.
• 2 To protect the curtain, we bought a white (versus clear) shower liner, $14.95 from Crate & Barrel.
• 3 Also upon the recommendation of Apartment Therapy readers and bloggers, we chose stainless steel roller rings, $11.95 at Crate and Barrel. They do, indeed, roll smoothly.
• 4 Our main towels (which were wedding gifts) are Macy's Hotel Collection turkish towels in ivory and suede, but for a little fun, we snagged some zebra-print towels on sale from West Elm. $12-$64 at Macys.
• 7 Bamboo tray, $14.95 at Crate and Barrel
• 8 Apothecary jar for Q-tips, $7.99 at The Container Store
• 9 Big Ben Folding Alarm Clock, $29.50 at L.L. Bean, so I know what time it is in the morning rush to get out the door.
• 10 White tissue box, West Elm.
• 11 Prism replica, from a whaling ship, $12.95 at Mystic Seaport
• 12 Glass sea urchin by Roost, $10.00 at Velocity Art and Design
• 12 Small canister for cotton pads, $16.95 from Crate and Barrel
Images: Lindsey Roberts