Name: Allison + Matt
Location: East Village (Alphabet City); New York, New York
Size: 750 square feet
Years lived in: 9 months
Allison and Matt moved into this one-bedroom apartment, their first as a couple, nine months ago. Together they've created a space that's a perfect reflection of their roots (he's from Tennessee, and she's from Seattle), their mutual love of travel, and their new life together.
We got a little peek into Allison and Matt's place in their house call, so we were happy to stop by and get a closer look. Their place has a pretty enviable setup for a New York apartment: a real bedroom, a spacious living room, and even a little backyard, accessed through a window in the living room (and reached by a set of steps Matt made from 'urban driftwood' and iron piping). Everywhere you turn there are DIYs and personal touches, little reminders of a happy life together.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Oh, I’m all over the place. But I think at the core, I love things to be quietly elegant, classic, I love a story behind anything – so vintage elements are key. Matt seems to mirror that style, though his might lean a bit more rustic and manly. (Clearly he didn’t select the bedazzled rug.)
Inspiration: Definitely our love for travel, our deep connection to our roots and the outdoors, and the desire to create a home filled with happy moments.
Favorite Element: Our backyard! Our “library” entry! Our collection of Matt’s mom’s records! Our “let’s go anywhere” reminder! It’s hard to pick just one…
Biggest Challenge: Getting through the initial move-in phase and needing to constantly remind myself that the chaos wasn’t permanent… things WOULD be perfectly in order someday. (And I’m sure someday they will be…)
What Friends Say: Lots of “OMG”s. The general consensus seems to be that it fits us both, as individuals, in such a cool, unique way – which makes it even more special that we share it as a duo.
Biggest Embarrassment: Pushing, and pushing, and pushing, and dimple-guilt-trip-inducing Matt into saying “yes” on buying the gorgeous Moroccan wedding rug… and then stepping on it the first time and experiencing the painful “bead” jamming into my foot. (Oops.)
Proudest DIY: It’s a toss up between the steps to the backyard and the swing. The swing is so funky and unique, but we use the stairs at least a handful of times every day – totally cool and functional.
Biggest Indulgence: Our leather sectional was definitely our biggest expense…totally worth the cost for something we use every day and totally sink into. The Moroccan wedding rug was probably the most illogical (but gorgeous) part of our budget.
- Hudson Furniture – I’m obsessed with their glamorous version of nature (and their light fixtures are to die for).
- I could furnish an entire mansion in exclusively ABC Home furnishings and décor. Love. Love. Love.
- BDDW – I love their nod to nature as well. And their upholstery items are just so stinkin’ sexy.
- Shine by Sho – sexy, glam, gorgeous.
PAINT & COLORS
- Benjamin Moore Halo (living room) and Black Ink (bedroom)
- wallpaper: MineHeart
- rustic hardware coatrack: Tumbleweed Cabin
- art: Minted.com
- sofa: West Elm
- coffee table: custom
- rug: Anthropologie
- shelf (above sofa): Restoration Hardware
- ceiling chandelier: Triple Seven Home on Etsy,
- ceiling medallion: Anthropologie
- Drapery: Etsy find
- bar cart: vintage (found on Etsy)
- art above sofa: wallpaper by Cole + Son, framed, and vintage mirror found on Etsy
- hanging wall planter: Etsy
- Terrariums: West Elm
- sofa sconces: One Forty Three
- Desk and desk light: West Elm
- chair: DWR (Panton)
- side table: Restoration Hardware
- arm chair: family heirloom upholstered in Mud Cloth from Yara African Fabrics
- steps: custom made from “urban driftwood” and plumbing pieces
- TV credenza: Crate and Barrel
- custom “let’s go anywhere” sign: made by Manhattan Neon
- window frame: found on street
- art within frame: Collage-O-Rama on Etsy
- planter: Anthropologie
- dart board: Vintage on etsy
- Monkey (Ralph): Two’s Company
- Dining table: Arteriors
- Dining chairs: Jayson Home + Garden
- headboard: Wayfair
- bed frame/drawers: Custom stained (and hardware added from Anthro) from
- Gothic Cabinet Company
- dresser: Restoration Hardware
- nightstand (cabinet): Wayfair
- nightstand swing: custom
- rug: CB2
- floor mirror: Horchow
- lamp on cabinet: West Elm
- lamp on swing: One Forty Three
- art (both): Minted.com
- drapery: West Elm
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!