It's so luxurious to feel the year stretching out ahead: twelve months of birthdays, anniversaries, costumes, parties, and quiet days with pots of tea, all occasions to sit and stitch. Here are the new products I'm most excited about, from thread to patterns to photographic dye…
Images as credited above.
- From the renowned French thread company Sajou comes this exquisite metallic thread, suitable for hand- and machine-sewing. It's available from Purl SoHo in Copper, Gold, and Old Gold.
- I know that knitting and crocheting are not the same as sewing, but in the spirit of the needle arts, here's Brooklyn Tweed's incredible pattern for making the Wool Leaves Blanket, also available from Purl SoHo.
- Glow-in-the-dark embroidery floss would be especially handy for keeping kids visible in their Halloween costumes- but why wait? Maybe a sweet pillow embroidered with this thread could act as a child's comforting night light.
- It's rare I see patterned fabric that appeals to me- most of it seems to have a bit too much going on. But black-and-white Chicken Wire yardage from Moda (sold by Purl SoHo) appeals to both the minimalist and the country girl in me.
- You're going to need something cute to wear while you tackle the year's sewing projects- perhaps a sewing smock made of Suzuko Koseki's Sewing Lessons fabric from Superbuzzy? You'll look as darling as your projects.
- I'm most intrigued by Lumi's Inkodye Light Sensitive Paint, which can be used to dye fabrics, wood, and more, using only light. Wired's review is here, and you can purchase the dye here.
- If you're lucky enough to have both an iPhone and embroidery skills, the new sewable iPhone cases were made just for you. Amazon carries these silicone cases with teeny holes, but Jenny Hart of Sublime Stitching (who made the lovely example above) recommends the Griffin Flex Grip Punch case. It's not intended for stitching, but she says it works great.
- Finally, if your budget doesn't allow for new fabric or new clothes, just bling-up what you've got with Sublime Stitching's new Bling Pattern. It comes free with a pack of Carbon Transfer Paper!