Blame it on Pamela Ball who let her kids decorate her white John Derian sofa with fabric markers back in 2008. After some initial shock, many of us admired her casual attitude and the style juxtaposition of the doodled-on Derian.
The look has caught on a bit, mostly with second-hand, inexpensive or semi-damaged furniture. Above are some examples - what do you think? A little nutty or do you like the look and idea?
- "Wreckorated" IKEA Karlstad Sofa by Chez Beeper Babe
- Doodled IKEA Klippan Sofa by Hidden in France
- Sofa decorated by adults at a housewarming party on Hairy Teeth
- Kid-decorated George Smith sofas on A Bloomsbury Life
- A scribble couch on Ginger Coons Learns to Blog
- Vintage chair decorated by parents on the occasion of their son's 1st birthday by Absolutely Beautiful Things
- Children-decorated chairs auctioned to raise money for the Palliative Care program at Cook's Children's Hospital in Fort Worth, TX on Atlantis Home
(Images: as linked above)