Name: Aashi Bea (10 months)
Location: Chicago, IL
Our daughter's "patchwork playful" room came together organically through time and gifts from others, but echoes her patchwork identity, which is a combination of Indian, Filipino, Italian and Spanish.The room itself is just 10' x 11', with two walls entirely taken up by white closet doors and windows, so we essentially had a box with two walls to work with. To contrast the window and closet doors and moldings, we painted the room a gray/brown that we used in other parts of our house (Benjamin Moore Taos Taupe), a color that allows for accent colors to really pop. We also picked this color beause of its neutrality and ability to accomodate to both sexes (just trying to think ahead!), while also appealing to future buyers.
The room started out as a gray/brown box, but with the patchwork colors and accents, it really comes to life and really suits Aashi's happy personality, so we enjoy spending time there with her. We hope that Aashi's growing collection of goodies will continue to adding to, and emphasizing, her patchwork and playful identity!
• Shelving/bookcase: Expedit shelf, Ikea
• Acrylic shelving with stuffed animals: The Container Store
• Glider: Custom order, Elephant Ears - Ann Arbor, MI
• Crib: Harper Better Basics Crib, Giggle
• Mini Patchwork Chair: The Purple Bear - Birmingham, MI
• Print frames over crib: Ikea
• Alphabet poster: petitcollage - Etsy
• Father/Daughter print: Nidhi Chanani - Etsy
• Love print: greeting card illustrated by Blanca Gomez - online at Red Cap Cards
• Aashi name board: letters from Anthropologie, the rest handmade from JoAnn Fabrics, Home Depot and a staple gun
• Rug: Anthropologie
• Buddha night light: somewhere in Chinatown, NYC
• Table lamp - Green Genes, Andersonville, Chicago
• Collection surrounding name board - handmade art projects and gifts from family members
• Shadowbox: custom-made using religious family pieces, to represent Aashi's dual faiths
Thanks, Keya! Readers, read more about Keya's adventures raising Aashi Bea on her blog, Not Just an Other.
(Images: Shaili Rajput)
• MY ROOM ARCHIVE
• SUBMIT A BABY OR KID'S SPACE