Molding, trim and paneling used to be standard finishing touches featured in any home, but these days it's often eschewed for clean lines and minimal detailing. When designed well this style can be successful, but the flip-side can be bland and lacking in character. Fortunately, adding detail is always possible and there's a bevy of options.
Look towards the walls, doors, and even ceiling for opportunities to pump up the details with woodwork and trim. You can add molding around your doors and windows, medallions on the ceiling, wainscoting at the base, and panels and picture frames along the wall. You can even avoid adding any woodwork and achieve the same look simply through paint. Check out the links below for inspiration and a few DIYs.
Above from left to right:
1. Before & After: Sophisticated and Dramatic Wainscoting
2. Breaking Down Our $57 Board & Batten, via Young House Love
3. Cheap & Easy Upgrade: 1x2 Molding
4. Before & After: Jude's Impromptu Molding Treatment
5. Farrow & Ball's Colorful Modern Molding Technique
MORE DETAILING, MOLDING AND TRIM ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
- Design Dictionary: Wainscoting
- Design Definitions: What's the Difference Between Wainscoting and Beadboard?
- Instant Architecture: Add Your Own Molding
- Contrasting Wall Trim and Molding
(Images: As linked above)