We all know that painting your walls can totally transform a space. But what if you're feeling lazy, and the idea of getting out a ladder is anathema to you and your precious weekend morning? We all know those saved episodes of Downton Abbey won't re-watch themselves.
Here's a reminder that even small doses of color can have major impact. Most of them are pretty low commitment and little work. (Save the longer projects for later, while you're waiting impatiently for Season 3 to air.) They're also perfect for any leftover paint you've got kicking around and, if you're a renter, easily reversed before moving day.
1. Door Edges: Sure to be the quickest of jobs; just tape it off well. Photo by Magnus Anesund for Swedish Elle Interior.
2. Window Frames: Who cares what's outside? This green framed window totally snags your attention. Photo by Stuart McIntyre.
3. Stair Railings: I would call Tom Scheerer's orange railing "da bomb" if it was still 1997. It's 2012, so I'll just say I like it very much.
4. Stairs Treads: And old idea, but never a bad one. Here, Lasc Studio pushed it with an extra bright aqua shade.
5. Accent Walls: Decor8 recently featured an apartment with this itty bitty painted accent wall. Maybe it's not even a wall. Call it the inside of an archway, or just a protrusion. Either way, it works.
6. Fireplaces: Gasp! Wood purists, avert your eyes. Regas New York painted the unpaintable in a sunny yellow. Via Brooklyn Bride.
7. Inside Shelving: We've also seen this before, but it's so good I'm putting it out there again. Neon is especially on trend, and Ghislaine Vinas rocked it in this TriBeCa loft.
8. Closets: Brightly painted closets are like the red silk lining inside a navy pinstripe suit. Anne Marker (and a friend) painted this bright design in her daughter's room.
9. Ceiling: Painted ceilings are even better when they include that small portion extending down the wall. From Skona Hem.
MORE PAINTING INSPIRATION FROM APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Paint Outside the Box: 10 Unconventional Ways to Paint Your Rooms
• 5 Ways to Add A Little Color Yourself
• 8 Places to Use Color That Normally Get Overlooked
• Add Color: Painting Just the Door's Edge
(Images: As credited above)