Apart from those who color-coordinate their shelving, most of us don't think of books as part of our home's color scheme, but they are. Bookshelves add another layer of color and pattern to a room.Shelves are usually one of the living room's largest pieces of furniture, and their presence can tip the balance of a space.
The photos above illustrate different ways to enhance your shelving, from adding artwork to using wrappers to organize books by type. The key to the cozy, library-like vibe of these rooms is that they give books a place of honor and treat them as collections to be displayed and used.
• 1 Cusi and Peter's Cozy Writers' Studio
• 2 Aad's Palette of Simplicity
• 3 Lisa and Alex's Craftsman Loft
• 4 Colorful Book Wrappers by Valerie Madill
• 5 Christy and John's Logan Square Bungalow