When asked our favorite décor advice, we always underscore the importance of pulling together décor elements that are proportional to the space and to one another. However, we also recognize how an oversized piece of furniture, especially an oversized lamp, can be fabulous...
It's been said an oversized lamp can make a huge statement in your interior, and it's even been suggested to help enlarge a smaller space. If you've been getting the urge to enlarge your lamp collection but have been nervous to take the plunge, we've gathered a few tips on how you can add one of these larger-than-life lighting pieces into your own home---whatever the room's size.
- Don't oversize them all Choose one individual lamp or one great pair of big lamps and add additional lighting pieces to the space carefully and sparingly. If you're going to add a stunning piece to a space, don't let other lamps steal the spotlight.
- Add pattern and color Since a large lamp or pair of lamps will be a focal point in a space, take advantage of their eye-catching ability and go with lamps that feature a bold color or fun pattern. A large lamp can be great for inspiring a color scheme or pulling a room's décor together.
- Balance with the rest of the décor If you pick an oversized lamp with lots of color or pattern, consider keeping the rest of the room's design fairly minimal. Or, if you've got an already decorated space consider going with a more minimal, larger lamp.
- Use it in a niche Small places like a reading nook, dining room corner or entry way are a natural spot for a big, oversized and bright lamp.
- Don't stick to just table Large floor lamps and oversized pendant lights are another great way to tie a room together---keep in mind the same tips when shopping.
Have you successfully incorporated an oversized table lamp, floor lamp or pendant light in your home? What tips or advice did you follow when shopping for it? What effect did it have on your space? Tell us about your oversized lamps!