There is so much to love about this living room from designer Betsy Brown. It is a cohesive look but each element is beautiful on its own. Of course, much of this room is very expensive, but with some patient and savvy shopping trips, you too can capture at least some of the room's underlying elegance.
This room is bathed in light and white but dramatically punctuated with black and white and small but potent bursts of mossy green. The tone is crisp and tailored but far from stark, thanks to playful animal prints, warm leather and the rich patina of honey-colored woods. And, like many of my favorite rooms, this one embraces both old and new, from the old-fashioned barley-twist legs of the demilune console table to the magnificent geometry of the Serge Mouille floor lamp. One of the most inspired elements of the rooms is the extra long velvet bolster on the couch. Without this pillow, the room would be far less spectacular, a reminder that it is often the small touches (and sometimes the least expensive) that make a room. In fact, this room works in part because there is no obvious "theme" or style.
1. Industrial wood bookshelf from Hudson Goods, $1,895. Or the Industrial Empire bookcase from Home Decorators, which is much cheaper at $299.
2. A fun sculptural or architectural piece adds character. Keep your eyes open at thrift stores and Craigslist. Or splurge on this cast resin chalice from Hudson Goods, $225.
3. For a splurge, go real antique for something like the lovely barley twisted demilune console table shown on the left of the room. This elegant table is from Antique & Artisan Center on 1st Dibs for $1,800.
4. To complement the round motif in the room--and offset some of the sharp geometrical lines, find something like this Sur sculpture from Jayson Home & Garden, $160.
5. Serge Mouille floor lamp from Switch Modern, $7,395 or Gueridon or Design Within Reach. Or a reproduction imitation from White on White, $575.
6. Fill Palmetto vases from Crate & Barrel ($24.95+) with with a spray of branches or greenery.
7. Sunburst mirror from Embellished by Mahsa, $79.99.
8. Louis XV Salon chair from Ballard Designs, or Louis XV arm chair from Wisteria, $300. Louis armchair from Jayson Home & Garden, $1,795.
9. Looks a lot like the B& B Italia "Frank" sofa. Though a few other sofas could do the trick for less, including this Kivik sofa from IKEA, $399. I was not able to find a similar lovely green bolster pillow but you could buy an insert and cover it with green velvet fabric like this from. Fabric by the yard from Pottery Barn.
10. Gus Modern Drake coffee table at Bobby Berk, $750. To splurge, there is also the Jonathan square coffee table from Hudson Goods, $2,200.
11. Hide rug from Hides & Co., $250. Or Koldby cowhide rug from IKEA, $199.
Images: 1: Betsy Brown., 2: As credited above.