Adult tricycles are fun, practical and comfortable. And, they can haul like nobody's business. Six bags of groceries? No problem. An aging Saint Bernard? No problem and great exercise. What are some of its other glowing qualities? Beginners aren't intimidated by it. The seat area [wink] is extremely comfortable. You always get the best parking spot when running errands. Thieves don't want it because it's too conspicuousness and heavy. Last but not least, trikes come in some very attractive colors.
Tricycles to Explore:
Trikes range in price from $250.00 to $500.00. See these retailers for details and prices.
My Recommendations for Choosing a Tricycle:
- 24-inch wheels over 20-inch or 26-inch wheels:
- Why? Think Goldilocks and the 3 Bears; 24-inch wheels are just right. The wheelbase on the 26-inch wheels is too long, making it a bit clunky. The smaller 20-inch wheels look unappealing because of the odd proportion. More importantly, the smaller wheels don't offer as smooth of a ride.
- 3 speeds (or 6 speeds) over single speed:
- Why? While single speed models are more plentiful and significantly cheaper, 3-speed or 6-speed gears offer much needed assistance to get you past changes in elevation. Tricycles are much heavier than bicycles, so gears offer a big contribution to the enjoyment of your ride.
- Larger basket over smaller basket:
- Why? Trikes come in a couple of different basket sizes. At a casual glance, they might look the same. If you want to keep an eye out for the larger basket while shopping, the distinguishing attribute is the visible joints that connect the 4 sides and base of the basket together. The regular basket is a single molded piece.
- Full circle chain guard over half circle chain guard:
Why? This is a minor consideration because chain guards are inexpensive and can be changed easily. You want the full circle chain guard because pant legs can catch on the half chain ones.
Tricycles aren't just for kids anymore so haul your loot, get some exercise, and have fun using the green energy of your two legs.
- In the adult tricycle market, 3-speed hubs are usually internal, while 6-speed hubs are usually external.
- The Aquaduct is a concept tricycle designed to purify water in developing nations.
(Image: Courtesy of True Bicycles.)