The carbon monoxide detector in our apartment went off recently. It was a false alarm and no carbon monoxide was found in the apartment upon fire department arrival. However, we were surprised when the responding fire fighters said to replace the detector...
Apparently, the sensor in the CO detector degrades when it is activated. One activation is all it takes to leave the sensor unreliable. We could not find any allusion to this in our manufacturer's literature, but we are leaning toward heeding the advice of the FDNY.
If your CO detector has been set off before, it might be wise to replace it. Has anyone else heard this before or experienced it firsthand?
Read more on carbon monoxide at the EPA website.
Image: T. Fitch